- head of the smart building security at Fraunhofer FKIE, Bonn
- ... where I also cover various EU-related aspects (see below)
- deeply involved in network steganography/covert channel research; member of Stegano.net
- author of four IT-related books (started writing when I was 17, sold >45.000 copies)
- received PhD from University of Hagen in 2013
- lecturer at Augsburg University of Applied Sciences
Book projects with Wiley-IEEE, Springer-Vieweg, Galileo Press
Scientific papers at Springer Annals of Telecommunications (ANTE), WILEY Security and Communication Networks (SCN), 37th IEEE LCN, 12th and 13th IFIP CMS
Talks at the hacking/professional events: Hack in the Box (AMS), TROOPERS, Datenspuren, DFN Workshop, Chaos Singularity (CoSin), MetaRheinMain ChaosDays (MRMCD), VDI Fachkonferenz Industrial IT Security, Chemnitzer Linuxtage (2013 and 2014), Secure Linux Administration Conference (SLAC)
Contact: steffen (at) wendzel (dot) de
- 2009-2013: Ph.D. (Dr. rer. nat.) in computer science from University of Hagen (chair of parallel comp. and VLSI)
- 2009-2011: M.Sc. in computer science, specialization: network security, Augsburg University of Applied Sciences
- 2005-2009: Dipl.-Inf.(FH), specialization: business informatics, Kempten University of Applied Sciences
- since 2013: Head of Secure Building Automation at the Cyber Security unit of Fraunhofer FKIE, Bonn, Germany.
- since 2003: Author of CS books and articles
- 2012-2013: Research assistant at the HSASec group, Augsburg University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- 2010-2013: Research assistant for the IT4SE (IT for Smart renewable Energy generation and use) project, Augsburg University of Applied Sciences and visiting researcher at the University of Waikato
- network covert channels and network steganography,
- building automation / smart city security
- IT security and security engineering,
- administration and programming of Linux/Unix/BSD systems,
- open source project management
- In addition to computer science I am interested in psychology, university history and campus novels.
Funded Academic Projects
Building Automation Reliable Network Infrastructure (BARNI), funded by BMBF; two project partners, volume: 1 Mio. EUR
Academic Activities (Reviews, Research Abroad/Int'l. Cooperations; Awards, ...)
- Organizer of the session "Human Aspects of Information Security, Privacy, and Trust for Smart Buildings" as well as member of the program board of Human Aspects of Information Security, Privacy and Trust (HAS) Conference @HCII 2015, Los Angeles, 2015.
- Industry/research chair and technical program committee member at 10th International Conference on Internet Monitoring and Protection (ICIMP), Brussels, June, 2015.
- Technical program committee member at First IEEE Workshop on Pervasive Energy Services (PerEnergy), St. Louis, Missouri, USA, March 2015.
- Steering Committee Member of the EU NIS Public-Private Platform Working Group 3 on Secure ICT research and innovation; Leading the AoI (Area of Interest) on Trustworthy (Hyperconnected) Infrastructures
- Member of Stegano.net (a project focused on network steganography and anomaly detection initiated by the network steganography group at the Warsaw University of Technology)
- Traineeship for EU-related Public Affairs at Fraunhofer Brussels
- Steering Committee Member of the Arbeitskreis kritische Informations- und Kommunikationsinfrastrukturen (AK KRITIS) of the German Informatics Society (GI) SIG Management für Informationssicherheit, SECMGT
- Industry/Research Chair as well as Technical Program Committee Member at 9th International Conference on Internet Monitoring and Protection (ICIMP'14), Paris, 2014.
- Reviewer for IEEE IT Professional Journal
- Reviewer for Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Program Committee Member at 8th SECURWARE, Lisbon, 2014.
- Program Committee Member at International Workshop on Cyber Crime (IWCC 2014) at IEEE S&P, San Jose, 2014.
- Program Committee Member at GI Sicherheit 2014, Vienna.
- Invited Reviewer for IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Sydney, 2014.
- Technical Program Committee Member at 3rd Techniques and Applications for Mobile Commerce (TAMoCo'14), Warsaw, September, 2014.
- Reviewer for Informatica Journal (Slovenian Society Informatika)
- Taking part at plenary panel discussion NIS: Towards defining priorities for cybersecurity research in Horzon 2020's work programme 2016-2017 at Trust in the Digital World (TDW), Vienna, April 2014.
- Taking part at various security-related events in Brussels ...
- Coordinating the AoI (Area of Interest) group on Trustworthy (Hyperconnected) Infrastructures (former Trustworthy and Resilient Infrastructure and Services) of the NIS Public-Private Platform Working Group 3 on Secure ICT research and innovation announced in the Cybersecurity Strategy of the European Union (since September).
- Participating and contributing to the Arbeitskreis kritische Informations- und Kommunikationsinfrastrukturen (AK KRITIS) of the German Informatics Society (GI) SIG Management für Informationssicherheit, SECMGT (from October)
- Visiting colleagues at the Warsaw University of Technology to discuss current and future joint-work (Oct 2013)
- Reviewer for WILEY-IEEE: Scientific book proposal review
- Reviewer for IEEE Spectrum magazine (Spectrum)
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security (TIFS)
- Reviewer for Springer Annals of Telecommunications - Annales des Télécommunications (ANTE)
- Technical Program Committee Member at 3rd International Workshop on Information Security, Theory and Practice (ISTP 2013), London, UK, 2013.
- Technical Program Committee Member at 8th Int. Conference on Internet Monitoring and Protection (ICIMP 2013), Rome, Italy, 2013.
- Co-Organizer of SPRING 8 of the GI SIG SIDAR at the Munich University of Applied Sciences
- 12/2011-01/2012: guest researcher at the University of Waikato, NZ for the 2nd time for six weeks via project IT4SE
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions in Information Forensics and Communication Security (TIFS)
- Best Paper Award at the The Seventh International Conference on Internet Monitoring and Protection (ICIMP 2012), Stuttgart, 2012.
- Co-Organizer of the 5th and 6th IT4SE workshop at the Augsburg University of Applied Sciences
- Reviewer for Journal of Universal Computer Science (JUCS)
- 12/2010-01/2011: guest researcher at the University of Waikato, NZ for six weeks via project IT4SE
- Co-Organizer of the 3rd IT4SE workshop at the Augsburg University of Applied Sciences
- Galileo Press book review: Arnold Willemer: Linux-Server einrichten und administrieren mit Debian 6 GNU/Linux, Galileo Press, 2011.
- 2010 and older:
- Co-Organizer of the 1st IT4SE workshop at the Augsburg University of Applied Sciences, 2010.
- Galileo Press book review: Dirk Becker: OpenVPN. Das Praxisbuch, Galileo Press, 2008.
- Galileo Press book review: Thomas Theis: Einstieg in PHP5, Galileo Press, 2006.
- Galileo Press book review: Sascha Kersken: Handbuch für Fachinformatiker, Galileo Press GmbH, 2005 (checked the IT security chapter).
- German Informatics Society (Gesellschaft für Informatik)
- Gesellschaft der Freunde der FernUniversität e.V.
- EU-related Public Affairs Training (Hospitanz),
Fraunhofer Office in Brussels, Brussels, May 2014.
- Communications Seminar,
Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Leipzig, November 2013.
- Acquisition Techniques,
Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Cologne, September 2013.
- BACnet Training Certificate,
MBS GmbH, Augsburg, January 2013.
- Basics of BACnet Certificate,
MBS GmbH, Augsburg, July 2012.
- Leadership Coaching,
Augsburg University of Applied Sciences, Bavarian Forest, 2011.
- Workshop Moderation,
Augsburg University of Applied Sciences, Augsburg, 2011.
- Rhetoric Course,
Kempten University of Applied Sciences, Kempten, 2008.
- Communication and Personality Psychology,
Kempten University of Applied Sciences, Kempten, 2008.